If you want to give your bedroom an Eastern feel, use hanging paper lanterns to light the room. Paper lanterns in bedroom give off a soft, colorful glow if the paper is colored. This will add a relaxing element that is needed in a bedroom. Your paper lanterns will be used for lighting instead of just decorations, so you will need to take extra steps to blend them in with the rest of the room.
Materials to Hang Paper Lanterns in Bedroom
Start your project of attaching paper lanterns in bedroom by preparing all the materials you need, such as:
- Paper lanterns
- Ceiling hook
- Masking tape
- Spray paint
- Staple gun
- Clear insulated staples
Steps of Hanging Paper Lanterns in Bedroom
- Mark the spot on the ceiling where you want to hang the paper lantern with a pencil. Insert the screw end of a ceiling hook into the ceiling by pounding the tip in with a hammer. Grip the hook with a pair of pliers; apply pressure as you screw it in the rest of the way.
- Plug the cord of the lantern into the nearest electrical outlet, if it can reach, or use an extension cord. Hang the lantern from the hook. Hold the electrical cord neatly against the ceiling and down the wall (including the extension cord). If the wall of your bedroom is a different color than the ceiling, make a small mark on the cord with a marker at the point where the cord goes from the ceiling to the wall.
- Take your new paper lantern into the garage. Put a tarp or newspaper down to protect the floor or go outside. Cover the lantern with newspaper. Cover and tape off the section of the cord from the mark that you made to the lantern. Spray paint the rest of the cord in a color that closely matches the color of the bedroom. Wait 15 minutes for the paint to dry; add a second coat.
- Remove the newspaper from the part of the cord closest to the lantern. Cover the section of the cord that you just painted. Tape the edge with masking tape so the paint doesn’t bleed. Spray paint the first section of the cord the color of your bedroom ceiling. Add another coat of paint; let it dry.
- Hang the lamp. Plug it in. Have a helper hold the cord flush against the ceiling and wall, like you did in step 2. Attach the cord to the wall and ceiling with a staple gun and clear insulated staples. This will make the paper lantern blend in and look like it is floating.
Using ordinary construction paper, glue and scissors is all that is needed to design these awesome paper lanterns. Make them as simple or fancy as you choose. Hang your paper lanterns in bedroom over a strand of lights to give off a beautiful glow in your bedroom.